News
Trending

#Election2020: Never Did I Promise To Pay Menzgold Customers – John Mahama

Former President of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama has revealed that he never made a promise to pay customers of Menzgold Limited who have had their funds locked up following the firm’s sudden closure by the incumbent government.

According to him, it is unclear as to how much is owed Menzgold customers, as such, it will be untimely to vow to repay them their monies.

“I have never said I’ll pay Menzgold customers,” he said.

READ ALSO: I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SARKODIE AND SAMINI ENDORSING AKUFO-ADDO- JOHN MAHAMA REVEALS

Speaking in an interview on Starr FM with Francis Abban off the Morning Star show, John Mahama explained that his government would investigate the degree of indebtedness and take requisite actions to lighten the suffering of the gold dealership.

“Menzgold is a different kettle of fish because we don’t know the extent of what the indebtedness is. I’ve not seen any document that shows that this is how much it is. So unless you investigate and find out.

“It looks like this government has been reluctant to investigate it or even go after those who took people’s money in the fraudulent manner. And so I said when we come we’ll pursue and find out what the true facts are and we’ll take remedial actions to alleviate the suffering of the customers,” he said.

READ ALSO: WE WON’T SIT ALOOF AND WATCH SOME PEOPLE TAKE GHANA- JOHN MAHAMA ON ACTIVITIES OF SEPARATISTS GROUP

Stressing on what his government will do to help Mezgold customers get back their monies given he wins the December 7 polls, the 61-year-old politician highlighted that his government would find out what assets of Menzgold are available to be sold to pay back some of the monies that are owed the aggrieved customers.

“What are the assets of the company? Are there any hidden assets that you can lay hold of and dispose of and pay back some of the monies that are owed. And the point is, why should people who have perpetrated something like this just walk away without any inhibitions?” he said.

He, however, expressed his intentions to pay the remaining funds of those affected by the savings and loans sector clean up.

According to him, since the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta says he has paid 98% of depositors, his government if they come into power, is going to pay the remaining 2 percent.

“The finance minister put a cost of 22 billion and he says he’s paid 98% of them. That’s what he says and so if 2 percent have not gotten their money when we come we’ll pay them,” he said.

Tags

Kwesi Appiah

Appiah Kwesi Anokye Dennis Jnr, professionally known as Kwesi Appiah is a Ghanaian celebrity blogger and writer.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close

Adblock Detected

Please disable Adblocker to view this page.